As promised, this is late af. What I didn’t expect when I said that last week, though, was that some germ that coated the decrepit Elmcor venue would knock me and many others down with a virus after the event.
Not that I should complain, though, as Progress: NYC saw TK Cooper dislocate his ankle after a bad landing from a corkscrew moonsault from the top turnbuckle to many wrestlers outside the ring.
It happened right in front of me, and kind of broke me in a way. It’s not what made me sick, but watching one of your favorite artists injure themselves is a mindfuck I hope none of you ever get to see.
As always, if I’m missing anything that can be accessed without too much trouble, @ me on twitter: henrytcasey.
What I Watched
- NJPW: G1 Climax Day 15, 8/6
- Monday Night Raw, 8/7
- SmackDown LIVE, 8/8
- 205 Live, 8/8
- NJPW: G1 Climax Day 16, 8/8
- NXT, 8/9
- Lucha Underground, 8/9
- NJPW: G1 Climax Day 17, 8/11
- Evolve 90, 8/11
- Battle Club Pro: The Bounty In Kings County, 8/11
- Evolve 91, 8/12
- Progress: NYC, 8/12
- NJPW: G1 Climax Day 18, 8/12
Upcoming Watch List
- NJPW: G1 Climax Finals, 8/13
- Monday Night Raw, 8/14
- SmackDown LIVE, 8/15
- 205 Live, 8/15
- NXT, 8/16
- Lucha Underground, 8/16
- House of Glory: High Intensity 6, 8/18
- NXT: TakeOver Brooklyn III, 8/19
Non-WWE Match of The Week:
Mark Haskins vs Austin Theory vs Mark Andrews vs Keith Lee
Progress: NYC, 8/12
It was a fantastic weekend for wrestling outside of the McMahon shadow (as long as you forget the “working relationships” that Evolve and Progress have with WWE).
And in a week with more excellent 4+ star matches, this unplanned match stands the fuck out. While it was originally slated to be Andrews vs Haskins vs Gibson (Zack Gibson had to bow out to be in a raucous show-opener against Jack Gallagher) those changes led to one of the most gob-smacking moments I’ve born live witness to.
I don’t know if it’s a triple suplex or a powerbomb-suplex, or a tower of suplex, or whatever, but watch this match – if for nothing else – than to see the witchcraft they conduct off of one of those turnbuckles. Haskins and Andrews both looked phenomenal, but the true story is the rising stocks of Keith Lee and newcomer Austin Theory.
Progress: NYC was a madhouse and will likely be made available on Demand Progress once the lads get the time to edit it together.
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW: G1, 8/8
- Zack Sabre Jr vs Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW: G1, 8/11
- Trent Seven and Tyler Bate (British Strong Style) vs Nick Iggy and Kerry Awful (The Carnies), Battle Club Pro: The Bounty in Kings County, 8/11
- Pete Dunne vs Darius Carter, Battle Club Pro: The Bounty in Kings County, 8/11
- Juice Robinson vs Michael Elgin, NJPW: G1, 8/12
- Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki, NJPW: G1, 8/12
- Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada 3, NJPW: G1, 8/12
- ACH vs Ethan Page, Evolve 91, 8/12
- Darby Allin vs Timothy Thatcher, Evolve 91, 8/12
- Chris Dickinson & Jaka vs Travis Banks & TK Cooper, Evolve 91, 8/12
- Matt Riddle vs Keith Lee vs Tracy Williams vs WALTER for the WWN Championship, Evolve 91, 8/12
- Joey Janella vs Jimmy Havoc in a No Disqualifications match, Progress: NYC, 8/12
- Jack Gallagher vs Zack Gibson, Progress: NYC, 8/12
- Matt Riddle vs WALTER for the Progress Atlas Championship, Progress: NYC, 8/12
Non-WWE Segment of The Week
Troll Boys by ACH & Ethan Page
Ethan Page’s YouTube, 8/12
This is the theme music for the newly minted troll comedy tag team of ACH and Ethan Page. Yes, the guys who faced each other in the funniest match of the year came back for another one.
As the video description reads:
We literally recorded this 20 minutes before the show.
WWE Match of The Week:
Last Man Standing Match: Braun Strowman vs Roman Reigns
Monday Night Raw, 8/7
Since Brock Lesnar is likely walking out of SummerSlam holding the Swedish Fish Championship (something I’ve been saying for weeks, check the podcast) it’s been great to watch the build to the PPV center around his opponents greatness.
Not only does this match have the chair spot of the year, but it has Solid Snake Samoa Joe, jumping up from out of nowhere to put Roman in a close-quarters-combat chokehold.
- TJP vs Rich Swann, 205 Live, 8/8
WWE Segment of the Week:
Kevin Owens Uses his WWE Network subscription
SmackDown LIVE, 8/8
WWE often leans upon fans’ short term memory to tuck away the moments that don’t fit with current storylines. Since Kevin Owens loves this wonderfully weird thing called Pro Wrestling, I’d wager he had some involvement with this lovely segment.
I just wish the YouTube segment didn’t have the network bits edited out. A, it kills the tempo, and B) it’s easy marketing for the network!
- Fashion Peaks, SmackDown LIVE, 8/8